May is Better Hearing & Speech Month
BISD Department of Special Services is celebrating our Speech Language Pathologists (SLPs) and Speech Language Pathology Assistants (SLPAs) this month as part of Better Hearing & Speech Month. BISD has 10 SLPs and 4 SLPAs that work to serve our students with speech and hearing needs. Currently, 44% of our students with special services receive some form of speech/language supports.
Supports provided can be direct, indirect or consult services that may include:
Please join us in thanking our amazing SLPs & SLPAs for all they do to support our students!
- Language (receptive, expressive)
- Articulation (speech sounds)
- Dysfluency (stuttering, apraxia, mutism)
- Pragmatic Communication (social skills)
- Augmented Communication (visual & technology enhanced)
- Oral/Motor (swallowing)
- Hearing (monitoring of hearing aids & implants)