Students from Brazosport ISD schools are headed to the Brazoria County Regional Spelling Bee. The Brazoria County Regional Bee will be held at Lake Jackson Intermediate School on Friday, February 17, 2017. Lake Jackson Intermediate School has hosted this event for the past eight years with the help of two BISD staff members, Therese Kahla and Cheryl Wood.
BISD campus champions will attend the February Bee along with many other campus champions from across the county. BISD will be represented by nine campuses including Bess Brannen Elementary, Elisabet Ney Elementary, Freeport Intermediate School, Jane Long Elementary, Madge Griffith Elementary, Lanier Middle School, Lake Jackson Intermediate, Clute Intermediate and Rasco Middle School.
BISD students competing at the Regional event are:
- Brannen Elementary - Gabriella McNames & Nick Reinhardt (both 4th grade)
- Griffith Elementary - Diego Esqueda & Ricardo Rios
- Jane Long Elementary - Legend Williams & Chelsea Sanchez (both 3rd grade)
- Elisabet Ney Elementary - Madison Maddox & Mya Fraker
- Lanier Middle School - Viggo Arechigo & Audrey Gomez
- Rasco Middle School - Kevin Coke & Dominick Trostle (both 5th grade)
- Clute Intermediate - Alivia Gonzalez & Marcus Gonzalez
- Freeport Intermediate - Nason Goins
- Lake Jackson Intermediate - Arden Neff (8th grade) & Kyle Evangelista (7th grade)
The champion of the Regional Spelling Bee will go on to compete in the Scripps Houston Channel 8 Bee on April 1, 2016 at the University of Houston. The winner of that bee will then go to Washington DC in June to compete for the national championship.