Attendance is Important!!
It is hard to get here...
if you are not sitting here...
Regular school attendance is essential for a student to make the most of his or her education—to benefit from teacher-led and school activities, to build each day’s learning on the previous day’s, and to grow as an individual. Absences from class may result in serious disruption of a student’s mastery of the instructional materials; therefore, the student and parent should make every effort to avoid unnecessary absences.
It's a fact that students who attend school regularly learn more and are more successful in school than students who do not. Parents who make regular school attendance a priority also are helping their children learn to accept responsibility. Learning to accept responsibility is an important lesson for a successful life.
What Parents Can Do:
- Help your child get into the habit and learn the value of regular routines
- Teach your child that attending school is non-negotiable unless they are truly sick
- Build relationships with other families and discuss how you can help each other out (drop off or pick up children, babysit) in times of need.
- Identify non-academic school activities that help motivate your child's interest in school and learning such as drama, art, music, and other clubs.
School Attendance is NOT a choice. IT is the LAW!
Compulsory Attendance Law
- TEXAS SCHOOL LAW requires that school aged children attend school each day.
- Absences may be excused for illness, medical appointments, family funeral, religious holidays, and court appearances. Parents must provide documentation within 2 days of the absence